Falconry is awesome.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I want to do it. But realistically I know that I don't have the time to give the love and care a raptor (VELOCIRAPTOR!) deserves :(. So here I am living vicariously through artage! I know... her hand is about to get ROCKED.




And here are some close ups. Mostly, for anyone's that was curious - I wanted to show how loose you can be when painting while still giving the impression of detail. I remember I used to *slave* away at details - nothing was left unrendered and unblended. Though I think it's important to be able to create hyper-clean-detail when it's called for, for the purpose of getting ideas down on paper, structured looseness is a good skill to practice :). I'm still working on it >_>!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jen. New Blog watcher, but old DA watcher. Im Howlseage over there.

Im really grateful for the close up.
I always try to be more loose with my work. Actually very similar to you. But It always comes out looking unfinished. Not sure how often you reply to comments here. But, how do you manage to make it look finished and yet still rough and mostly using eye blending? Smaller strokes?

Thanks for your time!

CJ~

S.I. said...

Epic Falcon!! :D
I really like her shoulder beak thing.
I'm trying to get a little more serious about painting in Photoshop, so seeing this definitely encourages me a lot more. I don't really know how to get the fully rendered look yet.
Thanks a lot!

Powell said...

Lots of goodness going on over here. Rad work!

Anonymous said...

you are really grateful for the close up.I always try to be more loose with my work.

___________________
Smarry
Apply now Nation wide cash

Gerald de Dios said...

Textures and feathers are amazing

Becky said...

Hello :3
I'm a new follower from Gaia. Loved the Gaia Art Walk interview with you and L0cke.
As for the painting, I just wanted to say, fantastic work! The bold colors work perfectly in this painting. I love the whole bird theme, especially in her outfit. I can totally see you as a fashion designer, the clothes would be beautiful and origional.
<3 Becky (Val Konorin on Gaia)